Thursday, February 2, 2012

Falling Whistles

CRANE COUNT: 198

Well, it's always hard to keep up with blogging and craning back at school, but at least this time I have managed to keep up. Since the start of the new year, I have given away 17 cranes away.

So far, things are looking a little better this semester in terms of more sleep (until this last week, which has been a little stressful...hadn't gotten to bed before 5 am since Friday until yesterday...) I had my first concert with the Ball State University Singers on Saturday...I play piano and keyboard for them. It went pretty well, and I'm excited to start getting back in to jazz piano!! But no wonder I'm sick again. Bleh.

(late) New Years Resolutions/goals/hopes/dreams:

* Crane goal of AT LEAST one a week
* Get all A's this semester
* Learn jazz comp/improv on the piano (or at least get a decent grip on it..)
* Get architecture internship this summer
* Take a cross country road trip and learn how to surf
* Find a way to raise money for Falling Whistles

As promised, about Falling Whistles...

Right now, the world's deadliest war since WWII is happening in the Democratic Republic of Congo, with 6 million people dead and 1,500 people dying each DAY.

The main conflict is over the mineral resources in the area- minerals used in our electronics such as cell phones and computers...a history of conflict between local groups and an unstable government doesn't help anything.  Falling Whistles was founded by a normal guy named Sean who had no idea what he had stumbled upon- a country in turmoil.

He came back home a changed man. He couldn't stop talking about what he had seen...finally he annoyed his friends so much, he had to do something. This something was creating Falling Whistles. He had the idea of making and selling whistle necklaces as a way to remind him wherever he went and start conversations, spreading the word.

I went to hear Sean talk a couple months ago, and it was one of the most moving things I've been a part of. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do to help, but any little bit counts. I'm going to get a whistle soon...here's a link if you wanna get one!! They are pretty awesome.

Read more about Falling Whistles here.

No comments:

Post a Comment